An exhibition entitled Luigi Moretti: La Casa delle Armi, le sue opere e il suo archivio, has opened at the Italian central state archives EUR. Luigi Moretti (1907-1973) was an Italian architect, famous for his design for PalaEur, the circular sports stadium overlooking the lake at EUR; but perhaps he is best known for his design for the Casa delle Armi, the fencing school built in the 1930s and considered by some to be one the most important works of architecture in Rome during the fascist period.
This exhibition contains the original designs and plans for the building and for the giant external mosaic.
The fencing school is in the Foro Italico close to the football stadium Via delle Olimpiadi; it fell into disuse and was lent in 1976 to the ministry of justice as a temporary courtroom. The school was converted into a high-security court and until recently was used for terrorism trials. Now the Casa delle Armi stands empty, wrapped in scaffolding, and restoration work has been stopped for lack of funds. There are conflicting ideas about what should happen to the building whether it could become a museum of sport or if it should be returned to being a fencing centre to honour both the architect and the sport in which so many Italians have excelled.
Luigi Moretti: la Casa delle Armi, le sue Opere e il suo archivio. Archivio centrale dello stato, Piazzale degli Archivi 27, EUR, 00144 Rome.
Until 15 July and from 1 Sept-30 Sept, Monday to Saturday 10.00-13.00, closed on Sundays and holidays. For information tel. 0654548568-9.