The American University of Rome is a small, regionally accredited, internationally recognized liberal arts college based in Rome, Italy. It offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs of the highest quality to students from all over the world and is a first choice university for degree students seeking an international learning experience through well-established programs, and as a destination for study abroad students.
Taking the best of the American approach to interdisciplinary, student-centered learning, our international faculty and staff use Rome as their classroom and Italy and Europe as invaluable resources. AUR promotes intellectual excellence, personal growth and an appreciation of cultural diversity in an international environment.
Reporting to, and working closely with, the President’s Chief of Staff, the Director of HR is a professional with comprehensive knowledge of all matters concerning HR, and with experience working in an international setting. He/she will ensure that all human resource operations are carried out smoothly and effectively and will be responsible for developing HR strategies and providing sound advice to senior management on all related issues. The HR Director must be able to manage staff while also possessing a strong strategic mindset, ensuring that all HR needs are being met and are aligned with all business objectives.
Required Knowledge, skills and abilities
• A relevant master’s degree.
• English-Italian bilingual or fluent speakers and proficient writers in both languages.
• Five to ten years of documented, progressively responsible and successful experience in the administration, management, and supervision of HR.
• Expertise of current best practices in HR management and in local and international labor laws.
• Knowledge of US and international higher education HR policies and practices.
• Evidence of strong data, analytical, and problem-solving skills utilized to achieve HR goals.
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically.
• Experience with current and emerging technologies.
• Ability to demonstrate hands-on expertise in the development, management, understanding, and maintenance of statistical and data models
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Ability to take initiative, exercise sound judgment, and handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment, all based upon a strong foundation of ethical leadership.
• European Union working papers are required.
including but not limited to: Human Resources Management, Hiring, Developing Standards, Fostering Teamwork, Promoting Process Improvement, Building Relationships, Organizational Astuteness, People Skills, Retaining Employees
• Identifies human resources issues, establishes human resources objectives in line with organizational objectives;
• Supports senior management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions; analyzing information and applications.
• In collaboration with senior management, directs talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing training and development, records management, safety and health, employee relations and retention, labor and GDPR compliance, labor relations.
• Manages the full spectrum of human resources operations including recruiting, selecting, orienting, counseling, and disciplining staff; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing staff job contributions; maintaining compensation; resolving problems; implementing change.
• In collaboration with the Director of Finance, develops human resources financial plans by estimating, forecasting, and anticipating requirements, trends, and variances; aligning resources; developing action plans; measuring and analyzing results; initiating corrective actions.
• Guides management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing organization values.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in professional and educational conferences; reviewing professional publications; maintaining personnel networks; membership in professional organizations.
• Assesses the HR operation annually, in accordance with Middle States Outcomes Assessment practices.
• Full time position, with initial 1-year contract
• Compensation competitive and based upon experience
• Position located in Rome, Italy, with periodic travel to the United States
• The search committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will interview shortlisted candidates. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
How to Apply:
Please email a resume, cover letter (quote re: Director of HR 34/2018) to email@example.com.
Please indicate where you learned about this professional opportunity.