The Villa Farnesina frescoes at the Museo Nazionale Romano in Palazzo Massimo are now open to the public again. The order in which the frescoes are viewed has been rearranged to make the way the public sees them today as close to how they would have been seen two millennia ago. New lighting has been installed in line with the latest conservation techniques, additional didactic material has been added and there is now a virtual reconstruction of the villa at the end of the section where the rooms are displayed.
The frescoes, from the Augustan period at the beginning of the first century AD, were discovered at the end of the 19th century on the grounds of Villa Farnesina in the Trastevere area of Rome during excavations for the Tiber embankments. The frescoed sections were carefully detached from the walls of the villa and taken to the national museum at the Terme di Diocleziano close to the railway station in 1889.
After extensive restoration they were moved to their present location in 1998, when the new centre for the Museo Nazionale Romano was opened in Palazzo Massimo on the Via Nazionale side of Termini station.