Assistant Professor in the International Relations and Global Politics Program: Tenure-track position
The American University of Rome (AUR) invites applications for full-time tenure-track position of Assistant Professor in the International Relations and Global Politics Program, beginning August 2023. The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in International Relations, International Political Economy, International Law, Comparative Politics, or an associated discipline.
This well-established program currently offers a BA in International Relations and Global Politics, along with minors in Peace Studies, Mediterranean Politics, Society and Culture, and Social Science. The person appointed will contribute to the further growth of the program by teaching and mentoring students, and by raising the program’s academic profile through an active program of scholarship and research.
AUR is a small, regionally accredited, internationally recognized liberal arts college offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs of the highest quality to students worldwide. It is a first-choice university for degree students seeking an international learning experience through well-established programs and as a destination for study-abroad students. AUR prepares students to live and work across cultures as skilled and knowledgeable citizens of an interconnected and rapidly changing world.
Taking the best of the American approach to interdisciplinary, student-centered learning, our international faculty and staff use Rome, Italy, and Europe as invaluable classroom and extra-curricular resources. AUR’s innovative programs promote intellectual excellence, personal growth, and an appreciation of cultural diversity in an international environment.
AUR offers not just a unique location, but also the possibility to further relations currently established by the University and the program itself with major governmental and non-governmental organizations, and the possibility to promote initiatives in partnership with major embassies, academies, and foundations based in Rome.
The successful candidate will:
- Carry a course load of six courses (18 cr) per year
- Advise and monitor the progress of students
- Contribute to the development of program curriculum (such as field trips and internships)
- Organize and promote the program and its activities (seminars, conferences and publications)
- Serve the University through membership on committees and other normal faculty functions
- Maintain and pursue an active research agenda
- Ph.D. in International Relations, International Political Economy, International Law, Comparative Politics, or an associated discipline
- Scholarly focus on one of the following: methodology in political science research; Energy and Security Studies; Area Studies (particularly Asia, Africa, and Russia); terrorism and counter-terrorism; Comparative foreign policy
- Demonstrated international excellence in research
- A strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate level in a small class environment with active learning techniques
- Ability to contribute courses at the introductory level, core courses in our major, and electives in the area of expertise
- Possession of or ability to acquire obtain an Italian work permit
- Demonstrated capability to work and teach across disciplines
- Experience teaching within the American university system
- Experience in fund-raising or obtaining grants
Applicants should submit a letter of application detailing their teaching and scholarly experience and a CV that includes the names of three references to be contacted should the candidate proceed to the interview stage to email@example.com.
Include “HR3/2022 Assistant Professor IR” and the candidate's full name in the subject field. The letter of application should include a reasoned statement of why the candidate wishes to be in Rome, and what kind of projects and activities they intend to promote.
- First-round candidates will be interviewed remotely and will be asked for three reference letters.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called to interview in Rome during the Spring 2023 semester and must submit three samples of recent work.
- LEVEL: Assistant Professor
- START DATE: August 20, 2023
- SALARY: €40000-€45000 depending on qualifications and experience
- APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: April 10th, 2023
Latest Yellow Pages
EVENTS THIS WEEKview calendar
Rome areasall Rome areas
CUSTOMER CARE AGENT IN TOURISM
Rome-based writers needed (remote)
2-bedroom penthouse near Piazza Bologna for rent
Primary School Teacher Position