Rome's carnival celebrations at risk

Organisers say Carnevale Romano 2018 should have already started.

Fans of Rome's carnevale may have to travel outside the capital to enjoy the celebrations this year, following a statement from the Carnevale Romano organisation.
This year would have marked the tenth edition of the annual event celebrating the traditional carnival season, a highlight of which is a horse-drawn parade between Via del Corso and Piazza del Popolo.
However the organisers of Carnevale Romano say that - as of 30 January - their plans for 2018 have been met with months of "deafening silence" from the city administration of Rome mayor Virginia Raggi.
Organisers told Wanted in Rome that Carnevale Romano normally runs for "at least 11 days" up to Shrove Tuesday, which this year is 13 February, and that the event should in theory have already started. They also said that they agreed to the city's terms of holding a reduced carnival celebration last year in order to "keep the event alive" for 2018.
The city's website contains no notice of carnevale while an operator at the capital's cultural hotline 060608 said there was no news of the event. Carnevale Romano organisers say they will do all that they can to return with future editions of the carnival which was revived in 2009 after falling into oblivion in the 19th century.
Traditionally carnival is the period of fun and festivities preceding the 40 days of fasting and prayer that Christians observe during Lent, which begins this year on 14 March, with Ash Wednesday, and ends with Easter Sunday on 1 April.