From 13 May the chapel of Villa Doria Pamphilj housed in the Villa Doria Pamphilj park close to the Gianicolo will be reopened for Sunday Mass. The funerary chapel was built along mediaeval and gothic lines with byzantine-style mosaics adorning the faade and encrusted with precious copper and stones. It was commissioned in 1896 by Prince Filippo Andrea VI Doria Pamphilj and fully completed in 1914. Since then, members of the Doria Pamphilj have been buried in the crypt.
The last time Mass was celebrated in the chapel was in 1970 after which the second Vatican Council prohibited private celebrations of Mass. The chapel fell into disuse in the 1970s, was vandalized and robbed of its liturgical furnishings. Despite the Villa Doria Pamphilj park being sold to the city of Rome in 1974, the chapel has always remained the property of the Doria Pamphilj family and now falls within the boundary of the parish of S. Pancrazio.
Mausoleo della Villa Doria Pamphilj. Entrance at Via Aurelia Antica 183, Via di S. Pancrazio. For more information tel. 0669190880.