Once my husband (holder of American and Italian passports) and I (American passport only) decided to stay in Rome beyond the one-year period stipulated by my spousal visa, the celebratory prosecco would soon be followed by a more practical concern: obtaining a permesso di soggiorno, the Italian equivalent of a Green Card. This document allows non-European Union citizens to reside and work in Italy for a limited time