American tourist dies in Rome from carbon monoxide

Death took place at B&B in central Rome

A 76-year-old American tourist died after reportedly suffering carbon monoxide poisoning at a B&B on Passeggiata di Ripetta in central Rome on the evening of 3 December.

The man's wife, aged 70, remains in a serious condition at Rome’s Umberto I hospital.

Initially authorities thought the couple had attempted suicide but it is now believed they were poisoned by a malfunctioning radiator.

An autopsy is being carried out to confirm the cause of the man's death.