The recently restored Forte Portuense has opened to the public for the first time in its history. Built in 1884, it was one of 16 fortresses in a defence system circling the city between the Aurelian walls and todays Grande Raccordo Anulare (GRA). Guided tours of the fortress are available every Sunday in March at 10.30 as well as on 2 and 9 April and on 7, 14 and 21 May. Booking is required, tel. 3333494170. A photographic competition entitled The fortress seen by artists and residents is also being organised to celebrate the opening. Photographs can be dropped off at the Centro Anziani Ciricillo, Via degli Irlandesi 46a on 18 and 25 March, 1, 8, 15 and 22 April,10.00-12.00. They will be displayed in an exhibition held 4-6 May with a prize for the best on show. For more information, see www.arvalia.net.

General Info

Website www.arvalia.net